Monday, June 21, 2010

11.5- Thing #5

I think Facebook can be used if you create a group or another account specifically for school- not your personal account. This will allow for the class and parents to communicate in different ways and you can help control who can participate. As far as back channeling, I definitely see some pros to that. Here are some of my favorites from http://pistachioconsulting.com/twitter-presentations/

3. Audience members can get questions answered on the fly
In the past, you might have lent over to you neighbor and said “What did she mean by that?” or you remained confused. Now, audience members don’t have to wait to clarify things they don’t understand. They can tweet their question and another audience member will tweet back with the answer. Audience members who tuned out because they didn’t understand now stay engaged.
5. The audience can innovate
As your presentation sparks ideas, audience members can tweet them and build on each others’ thoughts
6. You don’t have to be physically present to participate
Not only can you watch a live videostream of the presentation, but you can also tweet or chat with the physically-present participants.
You’ll get immediate feedback
You can also use back channels to help make sure everyone participates in some way. You can go back and check who responded so that credit can be awarded. One major con: not having the technology available. I teach elementary so unless we have the laptop cart, the whole class would not be able to back channel during a lesson or discussion.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that I would need to create another account on facebook. I do have a personal account, and do not accept friend requests from students. I have a personal rule they need be 18 before I will accept their request, otherwise I am asking for trouble. I think parents would appreciate a separate account so they they do not have to sift through all the garbage people post when checking up on their kids.

    ReplyDelete